Opened in 1961, Melrose Terrace (originally named Rochdale House) was the first nonprofit cooperative of its kind in Seattle. Founding members commissioned the building to satisfy the needs of residents. Consequently, developer profits were removed from the project costs, and the design continues to accommodate member residents of the cooperative. The building was designed by George Bolotin AIA and Associates in the Modern-style with reinforced concrete construction.
- February 14, 1958—Initial meeting is held on in the Conference Room of Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound.
- February 28, 1958—First meeting of Rochdale House is held and Board of Trustees is elected.
- October 22, 1958—Option is obtained from William and Betty Jordan to purchase the property.
- June 4, 1959— About 200 people attend the building’s first Membership Meeting, held at the New Washington Hotel. George Bolotin is contracted as the architect with Baugh Construction as builder.
- June 1959—Construction begins. Wheeler Associates, Inc. is the exclusive sales agent.
- October 1960—Unit 511 is finished first as a model apartment for sales purposes. The first open house is held October 29th and 30th.
- May 1, 1961—Melrose Terrace is completed for occupancy.
- April 5, 1967—The name changes from Rochdale House to Melrose Terrace.